Year 1 Phonics Screening Check WK Beg Tuesday 12th June 2023
Click on the image below for more information.
At Our Lady and St.Joseph's we use the Read, Write Inc. (RWI) programme to teach phonics in KS1 and Foundation Stage. This is a systematic teaching of synthetic phonics and is a highly successful way of developing children’s reading, spelling and language.
Take a look at this introductory video to help you with the pronunciation:
The five key principles that underpin all the teaching in all Read Write Inc. Programmes are:
- Participation – our teaching strategies ensure that all children participate fully in the whole lesson – there is no chance for children to lose concentration and miss key elements of the teaching
- Praise – children work together, as partners, taking turns to teach and praise one another and they are motivated by the focused praise they receive from teachers and teaching assistants
- Pace – a lively pace keeps all the children fully engaged
- Purpose – teachers know the purpose of every activity and how it leads into the next
- Passion – it is easy for teachers to be passionate about their teaching because they see their children make such rapid progress.
In Foundation Stage and at KS1 the children reinforce their reading at home through fully decodable RWI books in line with what the children are learning and accessing in their phonic sessions. Please see the blue text below for more information.
Reading at Home
At the end of the week your child will be bring home a reading book matched with their reading level. They need to be reading this book a minimum of 3 times to an adult so that they can practice their learned sounds and build up their fluency.
Your child will also have chosen a reading for pleasure text for you to read to them at home.
In addition, the sounds they have learned each week in their RWI sessions are available by clicking on the links on the class blogs. There are different sounds for each reading group. Your child should know which teacher they have and who's group they are in but if they are not sure do not hesitate in contacting the class email.
If you want to find out more about the Read Write Inc programme, the following website has lots of information for parents.